The Value of Publicity
Usually when I consult with potential clients, they are skeptical of PR and/or have a very limited understanding of the PR process and its incredible value. I often hear variations of the following three questions:
1. What’s in it for me?
2. How will my business benefit from gaining publicity?
3. Is publicity really worth the monetary investment?
First, the main purpose of publicity is to increase brand awareness. In even simpler words, its purpose is to create infinitely more exposure and “buzz” about your brand, preferably to your target consumer and the media (magazines, blogs, radio and televisions shows, etc.) they consume.
Now I will share with you 5 benefits of publicity and its value:
1. Social proof (credibility) – When potential consumers see that reputable magazines, blogs, etc. have featured your product or service, they are more likely to trust your brand and make the decision to invest in what you have to offer.
2. Building your email list – Potential customers may not be quite ready to buy from you when they are first introduced to your product via a media mention, but all is not lost. Many times, they still desire to keep in touch until the point where they are willing and/or able to purchase. This is where your email list comes into play. Be sure to employ a newsletter signup option on your website to capture the email addresses of future customers. This way, you will continue to provide them with great information about the goings on of your brand until they are ready to purchase.
3. Traffic to your website – When your brand is featured in the media, a potential customer’s initial action is to visit your website. Some will be ready to purchase immediately, while others will need to be courted for a while before they commit to purchasing. This is where your newsletter sign up option comes into play.
4. Social media likes – Don’t underestimate the value of social media likes and mentions! Social media is a type of microblogging. A simple “unboxing” photo or 15-second Instagram tutorial can send loyal followers, brand ambassadors, and customers your way.
5. Increased sales – Once you become a brand that consumers first know then trust, the decision to purchase again and again becomes almost inevitable. Exposure + credibility = increased revenue.
If you are interested in increasing your brand awareness but don’t know where to start, the next step is to hire a publicist with the right connections to top tier beauty editors, influential bloggers, radio show hosts, and more. If you’re ready to take your beauty care line to next level of exposure and sales, contact us at email@example.com to set up a consultation.